|Title||Start date||End date|
Costco Wholesale Corporation (which formally operates its business as Costco Wholesale, or more commonly known solely as Costco) is an American multinational organisation that manages a membership-only retail chain of large warehouse style stores.
As of recently, Costco was named the fifth largest global retail organisation and the world's biggest retailer of chosen by consumers for specific meat products and selected alcohol. In 2021, Costco was ranked ten on the prestigious Fortune 500 rankings of the biggest corporations in the United States by total revenue.
Costco's corporate history is dated back to 1975, when a former business competitor - Price Club - was established in San Diego, California, via mergers and acquisitions. Costco's corporate headquarters are located in Issaquah, Washington, and the organisation opened its very first warehouse in Seattle in 1983. Interestingly, Costco has distinguished its retail chain outlets, as warehouses.
Recently, Costco has approximately 800 warehouse retail stores worldwide:
• over 550 in the United States of America (including Puerto Rico and the district of Columbia),
• over 100 in Canada,
• approximately 40 in Mexico,
• approximately 30 in the United Kingdom,
• approximately 30 in Japan,
• approximately 15 in South Korea,
• approximately 15 in Taiwan,
• approximately 10 in Australia,
• approximately 5 in Spain,
• One warehouse store in each of China, Iceland, and France.
Costco has formalised business plans to open new warehouses in Sweden and New Zealand, and Sweden in the short term. Nowadays, Costco employs upwards of 220,000 employees worldwide, and has subsidiary companies called Costco Wholesale Canada and Costco Travel.